Therios 75mg chewable tablets are used for the treatment of skin and urinary tract infections caused by bacteria susceptible to cefalexin in cats.
Oblong scored beige tablet. The tablets can be divided into equal parts
Indications for use,specifying the target species
Infections caused by bacteria susceptible to cefalexin
. Lower urinary tract infections due to E.coli and Proteus mirabilis, .Treatment of cutaneous and subcutaneous infections: pyoderma due to Staphylococcus.spp and wounds and abscesses due to Pasteurella spp.
Do not use in case of severe kidney failure
Do not use in animals which are known to be hypersensitive to cephalosporins or any other substance from the -lactam group.
Do not use in rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters and gerbils and other small rodents.
Special warnings for each target species
Special precautions for use in animals
As with other antibiotics which are excreted mainly by the kidneys, systemic accumulation may occur when renal function is impaired. In cases of known renal insufficiency, the dose should be reduced and/or the interval of administration increased and nephrotoxic drugs should not be administered concurrently.
Wherever possible, the use of the product should be based on susceptibility testing. Official and local antimicrobial policies on antibiotherapy should be taken into account when the product is used.
Use of the product deviating from the instructions given in the SPC may increase the prevalence of bacteria resistant to the cefalexin and may decrease the effectiveness of treatment with penicillins due to the potential for cross resistance.
This product should not be used to treat kittens less than 9 weeks of age.
Use of the product in cats weighing less than 2.5 kg should be in accordance with the benefit/risk assessment performed by the responsible veterinarian.
The chewable tablets are flavoured. In order to avoid any accidental ingestion, store tablets out of reach of the animals.
ii) Special precautions to be taken by the person administering the veterinary medicinal product to animals
Penicillins and cephalosporins may cause hypersensitivity (allergy) following injection, inhalation, ingestion or skin contact. Hypersensitivity to penicillins may lead to cross- reactions to cephalosporins and vice versa. Allergic reactions to these substances may occasionally be serious.
- Do not handle this product if you know you are sensitised, or if you have been advised not to be in contact with such substances.
- Handle this product with great care to avoid exposure taking all recommended precautions. Wash hands after use.
- If you develop symptoms following exposure, such as skin rash, you should seek medical advice and show the doctor this warning. Swelling of the face, lips or eyes or difficulty in breathing are more serious symptoms and require urgent medical attention.
- In case of accidental ingestion, seek medical attention and show the package leaflet or the label to the doctor.
Legal Category: POM-V
How to order prescription medication
Certain products are classified as Prescription Only Medicines. For these products we require a legally valid veterinary prescription prior to dispensing and dispatching.
You can do this in three easy steps:
1. Request a prescription from your vet.
2. Add you prescription product(s) to your basket
3. Upload* or send your prescription to us as part of the checkout process.
* For some medication (eg Controlled Drugs) we need to be in receipt of the original valid prescription prior to dispatch, and so we will require you to post the original prescription to us. The website will inform you if this is the case.
How can I send my prescription electronically to you?
You can upload your prescription via the website as part of the checkout process or, if preferred you can email it to us at email@example.com or fax it to 01522 692231.
When emailing or faxing your prescription to us please write your order number at the top of the prescription to help us match it against your account.
Please note that for some medication (eg Controlled Drugs) we need to be in receipt of the original valid prescription prior to dispatch, and so we will require you to post the original prescription to us. The website will inform you if this is the case.
Where should I send my original prescription to?
Where we require (or you choose to send) an original prescription by post, please write your order number at the top of the prescription and send it to:
The PharmPet Co,
Unit 7 Stirlin Point,